viernes, 24 de agosto de 2007

hermanas siempre

My little sister came to visit me this week! It was absolutely wonderful. When her taxi pulled up to the immigration building where I was waiting for her, I saw her immediately. Without even thinking about what would be my next move, I dropped all my stuff and ran towards her, throwing my arms around her into the first real hug I have had since being in Honduras.

The experience I had while she was here was kind of unreal. Having such a close family member here to share my experience with was really nice, but at the same time it felt strange, as if my two worlds were colliding. We were talking one night, and she told me that she understood how much trouble I was going through at the time, trying to integrate into a new group of gringo friends, trying to integrate into my family and community, and trying to learn Spanish all at the same time! That was extremely valuable, being able to have such a close family member there, actually seeing what I was going through and really being able to understand my problems. She gave me very good sisterly advice, and we had a lot of good laughs. But the best thing about having her there, was that I was able to be totally myself and completely goofy without having to worry about anything. I have not felt that exhilaration in a long time, and it was really nice to be able to share it with my sissy!

While Sarah was here, she of course made a wonderful impression on my family! They were excited that her Spanish was so good, so we could have conversations all together with ease. They also just loved her, because who doesn’t? The last night she was here, she made a pizza and apple pie for my family, because they wanted to try some comida from the states. It was a ton of fun to make, and actually turned out wonderfully! My mother here loved having her so much, that she actually cried when she left! Of course I cried to a little, and although I was sad to see her go, I am so happy for the precious time we got to spend together. It was just what I needed, and more!

5 comentarios:

Jane dijo...

EC call home! For some reason calls aren't going through.

Sarah had a wonderful time, but she misses you a lot.

LOVE YOU, KIDDO!
Mom

LewisLuck dijo...

Richard-
I am so happy that your sis came to visit, I want to come! I love reading your notes and I miss you a ton. Killer sends all of her love and asks about you on a daily basis. besitos.

Anónimo dijo...

when i first read about the hurricane bearing down on central america i have to admit i was pretty worried, but then i remembered the countless times the noble family spent huddled in a closet waiting for the bitching and moaning of the tornado sirens to cease. if any gringa in honduras is ready to handle a hurricane/severe tropical storm its lizzie. you can be everyone's sea of calm when the sea is not.

T dijo...

hey - update this thing missy!

Sarah dijo...

Lizzy!! I miss you so so much. My time with you in Honduras was the best part of my trip. I am praying for you constantly, un abrazo muy muy fuerte, tu hermanita