viernes, 17 de agosto de 2007

Longest week ever...and one of the best!

This past week has been the longest few days that I have spent here in Honduras. Not because I have had a bad time, but my little sister is coming to visit tomorrow! I have been anticipating her arrival with every free thought I have had this week. Although I’ve been outside of the country and away from my family for only one month, it has felt like years. And with the thought of having two long years looming ahead of me, it has already been one of the longest months of my life. This is why when I see my sister this weekend, I will be more excited than I have ever been to see any member of my family.

One of my friends from Aquinas came to visit this Wednesday and Thursday. I thought it was pretty funny that he came right around the same time as my sister. Now all the other people in my training group think I’m extremely popular. My social life apparently `makes their heads spin` as one of my fellow trainees put it. I don’t mind having that reputation (that is a hint for any of you thinking of coming to visit me!). I had a really good time with him. He spent the night with my family, who took him in as if he were one of their own. My family here, like I have been saying, is superior. He is applying to go to the Peace Corps next year, so I enjoyed showing him the ropes and what living the Peace Corps life is REALLY like!

I was especially excited that he got to stay and experience the festivities of `culture day` that went on yesterday, which was one of the most fun days I have had so far here in Honduras. We started the day by getting up early in the morning, and each making a cultural dish with the families we lived with. I made a dish called `pan de pan,` which is kind of like bread pudding, and so delicious! When we got to the event, we started off by watching a cultural dance that some of the kinds from the middle school had prepared for us, which was really cool to watch! Then, some of our host mothers, including mine, got up and sang a Honduran song. After that, each Spanish class in our group presented a little diddy. My class played pin the tail on the donkey with everyone, which most people got a kick out of. I also danced a swing dance number with one of the guys in our group who is a great swing dancer. Everyone loved that, and I absolutely loved doing it! Now I have quite the reputation here of a ballerina, and I definately don't mind!

Although this week has been extremely long, it has also been exciting and eventful. I cannot wait for my sister to come though, so if you read this before tomorrow, pray that I am able to sleep!

6 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

i wish i was there to hug you both

Jane dijo...

I love you guys.

T dijo...

david that comment just melted my heart

marzoang dijo...

i know what you mean about having visitors... it's so exciting! and it will go fast, so enjoy having your sister! i miss you liz... tantissimo. -angela

Jane dijo...

Hi Liz!

It's mom with Dad and Mary. We're in Mary's dorm room, about to head to Mass and then say good bye to Mary.

Her dorm room's cool and she has a very nice room mate.

Mary says, "Hello dumpling!" and Dad says, "Hello sweetheart. I miss you very much. Rockhurst U is awesome. Mary is going to do great here. I hope we can see you sooner than later. We all miss you very much. Take care of yourself and don't let the bed bugs bite."

OK. Well, I'm back. Call me while Sarah is there kiddo. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Laura dijo...

Wow, sounds like you're having a blast! Hi Sarah!