martes, 7 de agosto de 2007

Volunteer Visit

I am sorry it has taken me so long to write another entry. Not having a computer, and having to pay by the hour at the internet cafe makes it a bit difficult.

Well, this past weekend I went to visit a current volunteer to learn about the real Peace Corps life, and although I had a couple close encounters, I am glad to say I got back alive and in one piece. In order to get there, I was supposed to take a bus from a certain station in Tegucigulpa, but I ended up going to the wrong station, although it took me to the same place. When I figured out I had gone to the wrong station (after I had gotten on the bus), I promptly began to freak myself out, thinking I was going to the wrong city, and possibly there was another city in Honduras with the same name (this in fact happens a lot). Luckily, I had just gotten a cell phone the day before, so I called the volunteer who I went to visit, and told her my predicament. Fortunately, there was no need for me to freak out, and I realized quickly that I was okay.

When I got to the town, I was quite surprised by the size and cleanliness of the town. It was a very nice, clean town with electricity and indoor plumbing in all the houses! Not something always to be expected when going to a Peace Corps site, especially one in my project area. I found out that my volunteer actually did a lot of the same things most PAMers (that is what we call ourselves in my project area) do, she just has to travel to small towns outside of where she lives each day to do her work.

So I went with her on Friday to a small town where she was doing a latrine project. We had to take a bus about 15 minutes away, and from there it was about an hour and a half hike. This is an easy hike, she told me. Uphill most of the way. On our way up the hill, we were just chatting about peace corps when I heard behind me what actually sounded like a large animal dying. I looked behind me, and to my horror and surprise, saw an enormous bull standing about 10 yards away from us, looking like it could charge at any time. Annie, the volunteer I went to visit, told me to slowly walk away from it, telling me not to make a sound. When the bull was out of sight, she told me that was the angriest she has ever seen a bull in her life (and apparently she has seen a few!) So even though I was scared out of my wits for a short couple of minutes, I knew it would be a good story to tell! And thankfully, on our walk back, we didn't encounter the angry bull again!

When we finally arrived at the town, I got to see first-hand what the townspeople were like, how Annie interacted with them, and how she worked daily on her projects. The townspeople were all extremely friendly, and the counterpart she worked with was an incredibly independent and kind man. I enjoyed seeing how she worked with them, and was able to imagine myself very easily being able to interact with townspeople like that, and working with them as well. The visit was over all a great experience, and although reality hit hard, I appreciate very much everything I learned. I am excited to see how I will adjust to similar conditions once I am in my site!

3 comentarios:

Laura dijo...

Sounds like you're learning a lot, like to watch out for angry cattle. I don't know how long it will take to get to you, but I mailed you something on Saturday! Keep an eye out for it.

T dijo...

lizzy i bought a card so watch out i am calling you soon!!!

Jane dijo...

A bull!!! Holy Toledo! (no pun intended - who gets it? Laura?)

Can't wait to hear how it goes in the new city, Liz. You're so ready.