lunes, 24 de diciembre de 2007

Feliz Navidad

Ahhhhhh! It's almost Christmas, and here I am, trapped in Honduras with no one to celebrate it with except a woman I work with, and a couple of strangers I just met yesterday! Besides that, there is absolutely no snow here, I can count the number of Chrismas trees I've seen on one hand, and the feast they are preparing doesn't contain an ounce of eggnog. This isn't Christmas!

Perhaps that's why I have felt so good about the first Christmas ever that I have to spend away from my family. It doesn't really feel like Christmas at all. Especially in the country. Practically no one puts up Christmas trees or Christmas lights. They don't believe in Santa. I think the only reason he is present here is because of comercialization from the States. They don't really exchange presents either. This is actually a custom (although I'll admit I tend to anticipate it more than anything each year!) I think our country could do without. All the comercialization of Christmas and people wrapped up in buying gifts (no pun intended) for their loved ones seems to create such a frenzy and superficial excitement, people seem to forget the real meaning of Christmas.

Now don't worry friends, I am not about to get soft on you and spout off what I believe the real meaning of Christmas is......most of you already know that. I am just saying that there is a beauty in anticipating such a great holiday in a serene, quiet place where it is barely mentioned except at night, when the women of the town go to the church to pray a novena, waiting patiently for the anticipated day. And when the day finally comes, people sit around a table, enjoy each other's company as well as a carefully prepared delicious meal. Afterwards, there is no empty feeling of ¨is that it? Is that all the presents I got?¨ or ¨wow, we've been anticipating this day for soooooo long, and now it's over? Just like that?¨ It actually feels good.

I hope all you guys are having a great time this Christmas spending it with your families! And family, don't miss me too much! I am already missing you enough for all of us. Just enjoy eachother's company, and hopefully we will be reunited for the next Christmas! And I hope you all got me some good presents! Haha, just kidding.......sort of.........

4 comentarios:

Jane dijo...

Feliz Navidad, Liz! We had a good Christmas, but it would be have been wonderful if you had been here. We finally got a hold of you - the circuits were busy on the cell and we had a hard time communicating with the man at the other end of the land line. Laura figured out you were due back at 8.

We took lots of pics and I'm hoping to post them on my blog - or T will put them somewhere else. Love you and miss you a ton!
Mom

Laura dijo...

Lizzy! I tried so hard to call you yesterday! I talked to a woman (barely) and she said you'd be back at 8 (which I guess is 9 here) but every time I tried after that the line was busy!! Apparently your family was talking to you. How dare they!

Anyway, we had a fun time with your family tonight, but we sure missed you a lot. Your dad told a really killer gorilla story. It involved a philandering, pot-smoking, hippie-beating, gay-fearing gorilla. Gorilla stories have gotten a lot more risque.

Hope your Christmas was wonderful, in an un-American sort of way. It must be kind of refreshing. Hope to talk to you soon! I miss you!
Laura

Jane dijo...

Hellwo Lizzy! Theresa is sitting on my lap and Mom is typing this for me. Mary just said, "lap, what a funny word." I just said, "mom, do not post that, I will kill you."

Twee Twee and Saor Saor say we love you.

Sarah

David dijo...

These kind of articles are always attractive and I am happy to find so many good promptessay.com point here in the post, writing is simply great, thanks for sharing:)