martes, 27 de noviembre de 2007

Gracias a Dios

There is a department in Honduras called Gracias a Dios. I have always wondered why it was called that. Are there so many great things there that the people who named it just had to thank God for the place? It is actually the least inhabited part of Honduras, but I hear that it is really beautiful, and a great place to go for a hike.

Anyway, my original blog had nothing to do with this place, I was just reminded of it when I named my blog. Really, this is about things I have experienced during my stay here and have laughed at, marveled at, or simply felt God’s grace surrounding me.

1. The shoe shiner, who was given his lunch, a messy tortilla with tons of toppings, in the middle of shining the shoes of my counterpart, most likely his only customer in a while. He didn’t even miss a beat while munching on the tortilla in one hand, while continuing to shine the shoes with the other. He ate it in 15 seconds tops, and continued to do an excellent job shining the shoes after he finished. My counterpart didn’t seem surprised or upset at all that he was dripping food all around her shoes, but miraculously did not get anything on them.

2. The little girl who sat next to me on the bus yesterday, who I did not know at all. But halfway through the bus ride, she laid her sleepy head on my shoulder and quickly fell fast asleep. By the end of the bus ride, she was laying comfortably in my arms, sound asleep. It amazed me that she, and her mother who was standing up in the back, had both entrusted me, a complete stranger, to protect her during the ride.

3. The recent trip I made to the tip of the mountain that I live on. It was quite a hike up to the top, and a little dangerous. But the view from the top, where I could see El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua all in one view, was absolutely spectacular!

4. The stars here…I have never seen so many in my life!

5. The older Catholic man that I sat next to on the bus the other day. He kept congratulating me for the work that I was doing here, as well telling me ¨God bless you!¨

6. The ride I got from the town priest into the city, in order to get to a Thanksgiving feast put on by other volunteers in the area. It was on the back of a banged up pick-up, and I shared the ride with about 20 other people who had all gone to mass that day, and were hoping for a ride home. Some of them had told me to get in the front, but I kindly declined, not wanting any special attention because I was a gringa. I rode the entire way terrified out of my mind, but also extremely thankful for the ride God had blessed me, and the opportunity to see other volunteers for the first time in 2 months!

7. The man on the bus the other day, who was singing rancho music to himself quite loudly, but no one seemed to notice or care.

8. The note I got on a test turned into me by one of my students, that made me laugh to myself. It said ¨hay loov iu,¨ which, phonetically in Spanish sounds a lot like I love you (it took me a while to figure that out). It gave me a good laugh. Especially since he bombed his English test (not very funny), but somehow had learned how to say I love you in English (quite funny).

9. A recent theological discussion I had with a man who knew his stuff, and definately challenged me. The first one I have had since I got here, and definately the first I have ever had in Spanish!

10. Singing ¨Gangster Paradise¨ with the other volunteers in my area at a Kareoke bar in a nearby town. I don't think anyone in the bar was very amused, because all the other songs being sung were old spanish love songs. But we certainly had a good time!

Gracias a Dios, por estar conmigo siempre

1 comentario:

Sarah dijo...

Oh lizzy poo! I am soooo excited to come see you. I have the tickets. It happened to be a bit shorter of a trip than I would have liked, the 7th through the 19, but when I think about it, it seems actually like a perfect amount of time. I dont want to be getting on your nerves now! I so miss you. Its hard not to be able to call you up when I need to talk. I know I am being a little selfish in saying that. I am praying for you, and you better have your horse by the time I get there, you have exactly on month missy!