miércoles, 25 de julio de 2007

Michael Jackson to the Rescue

I think my emotions finally came up all at once in one day, when I started feeling sick. I have been absolutely fine up till this point. I have been meeting awesome people, adapting to the food and my surroundings fine, not missing home too much, etc. I thought I was integrating really well.

Then came Monday. I woke up feeling very queasy, and couldn´t concentrate all day. Finally, at the end of the day, I went to one of the staff members and told her how I was feeling. To my dismay, she ended up calling the doctor, who sent me to the hospital right away, just to make sure it wasn't dengue, a deadly disease contracted from mosquitos. I immediately began crying in the middle of the lobby of the Peace Corps office. I didn't want to go to the hospital, it was nothing, I swore to it! But they sent me anyway. The entire time, I still teared up thinking about how I wished I could at least call my mom and tell her what was going on, and how much I missed her. Then I began to think about everything else that I missed from the states, and all the doubts started to come and haunt me.

Tears were about to well up in my eyes once again, when ¨Billy Jean¨ by Michael Jackson came on the radio. I immediately brightened up, thinking of the numerous awesome 80s nights I had spent with my good friends in the States. I started humming to the music, and looked over at the driver, who happened to know the song too! We laughed, and started talking about how much we loved Micheal Jackson. Who would have known? Michael Jackson would help a peace corps volunteer in need!

6 comentarios:

Jane dijo...

My poor baby!!!!! You told me you were in the hospital when you called but I didn't know you were crying and had to have Michael Jackson save you instead of your mommy! We miss you, kiddo and we're praying for you every day.

Dad just wrote you a letter and went to the post office to mail it. WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Mom

Sarah dijo...

Wizzy wizzy wizzy
I teared up when I heard that story...and then I burst out laughing. I love you tons, leave it up to you to open your self up enough to let michael jackson of all people cheer you up a bit. I am praying for you lizzy, and I send you lots of hugs

LewisLuck dijo...

god bless those 80s nights and you. I miss you so much Liz, GR just isn't the same!

T dijo...

Oh Lizzy!!!!! I miss you so much. Espero que yo estuviera alli para llevarte al hospital (y bailar a Michael Jackson)

Anónimo dijo...

wow! you and me both! michael jackson helped me to overcome a debilitating personal hygeine issue and to become the awe inspiring hunk that I am today.

Jane dijo...

Oh my gosh, here's johndillinger again!