martes, 26 de agosto de 2008

The funeral

This morning, I was woken up by two little girls in my town calling my name softly outside my door. This is not abnormal, and I was extremely tired, so I rolled over, wanting to go back to sleep and just ignore them. But something inside me told me I should go out there. So I did. When I opened the door, I saw two little girls, cousins, looking up at me. The smaller one began speaking to me rapidly, and I had just woken up, so what she was telling me didn’t really register at first. When I then figured out what she was saying, I realized that her baby brother, who was born yesterday at 1 in the afternoon, 2 months early, had died. They wanted me to go and take a picture, so they could have a reminder of her baby brother who had barely lived 4 hours, which she had never been able to meet.

I ran into my room to change, and in a couple minutes was ready with my camera, and began walking towards the house with them. On the way there, I kept asking questions to the little girls to keep my mind off the horrific event and to keep from crying. When I got to the house, I saw the grandmother, whose cheeks were stained with tears, and the mother, and gave them both hugs. The mother actually looked surprisingly well, as if she hadn’t been crying at all.

Knowing how easily I cry, I hoped and prayed as I walked toward the room where they had baby that I wouldn’t burst out into tears. When I saw the baby, he looked like a normal, healthy baby who was just sleeping. For a split second, I thought he might actually wake up any second. I couldn’t help it, and even with all the kids gathered around me waiting to see my reaction, tears filled up in my eyes as I tried with all my might to hold them back. I quietly took 3 or 4 pictures of the baby, hoping I wouldn’t have them in my camera too long, knowing that it would kill me to look at them every time I ran through my pictures.

After taking the pictures, I sat down and quietly observed as the other mourners came to see the baby. I was surprised and slightly confused by the reactions of everyone. Almost none of the women who went to see the baby seemed to be bothered at all by the sight of him. Most of them, actually, as they approached the baby smiled and whispered ¨oh, he would have been so cute!¨, as if he were still alive. As I watched everyone come and go, I sat in awe and confusion by the reactions of all the people. So many would say to the mother, ¨well, that’s the way the Lord wanted it.¨ And just accepted it as one of the many pains a person has to endure in life. And almost no one went up to console the mother, rather would ask her questions such as ¨so, when was he born?¨ then, ¨When did he die?¨ and right into ¨I think it might rain today.¨

I think one thing that hurts the most is how something that is viewed as such a horrible pain to go through in the States, is so common here that most people don’t even see it as a very big deal. However, I have also noticed that people seemed to generally take deaths much more easily here than in the States. It may be because the majority believes that if the person was good, he or she is in heaven right now and there’s no reason to cry over that. They also very readily accept such a painful event as God’s will. I still don’t know if this is naivety or wisdom, but I know that I’m jealous of such faith and strength to be able to get through something like that with out wanting to give up or turn your back on everything.

7 comentarios:

Lisa dijo...

WoW! God bless you for being there........St.Theresa's mother lost 4 Children two of them were boys....she always wanted a priest and God answered her prayer I think by makig St.Theresa patron for priests.....God's ways are not our ways and I think those who have more of a simple life can more clearly see that! I know when we were at the Lord's Ranch and were at the dump where the poor people lived they were so friendly and gernerous with the little they had!

Laura dijo...

Wow Lizzy, that story made ME cry, 3000 miles away! I hope you are recovering okay; that sounds like a hard thing to do.

I am finally (mostly) moved into my apartment in San Francisco, and I finally managed to make my wireless internet work so I can catch up with the world again. Nice to read your stories again and I can't wait to visit you!

Jane dijo...

I was thinking about this after talking to you the other night, Liz, and I was wondering if moms might tend to not let themselves bond with the baby until they're sure they'll survive - kind of like a mom who has had a lot of miscarriages who won't see herself as pregnant until she's passed the 3rd month. It's so sad to think of them having to do that - so unfair when we have such good prenatal care here.

This story took on so much more meaning since Dad and I actually remember meeting the mom's children when we visited her home, discovering she had left for the hospital. And who can forget meeting Concepcion, the baby's grandma? Sigh. I miss Agua Fria. The simplicity, the faith, the well-loved children. Love you Liz!

Sarah dijo...

wow lizzy, that must have been really hard to see. I will pray that you find peace after that, peace that comes with understanding.

Pursued by Truth dijo...

it really is amazing how a culture with so little materially is so incredibly rich. as americans we seem to be unnaturally obsessed with living longer, acquiring more wealth, and maintaining our looks and social standing, while much of the rest of the world struggles to secure basic needs. death is an essential part of life and it seems as if many of the hondurans have an intuitive understanding of this. maybe this is one of the more potent truths being revealed to you lizzy. experiences like that are instrumental in reaffirming ones faith, and i pray that the grace with which they deal with death and suffering will have a profound and lasting effect on you. i cant wait to see you lizzy! love d

Pursued by Truth dijo...

uh that last comment was from david. i was reading it and thinking, "wow, since when have i been so articulate." then i realized david had written it and the world made sense again. :)

Anónimo dijo...
Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.